In order to simplify campaign setups, Meta simplified the objective selection possibilities when creating new campaigns in Ads Manager.
As explained by Meta: “We’re moving to an outcome-driven ad experiences model (ODAX), where advertisers can select their desired business outcomes (e.g. Awareness, Traffic, Engagement, Leads, App Promotion, Sales) and the interface will guide advertisers to the most optimal campaign setup/creation paths to achieve that outcome.”
The new Meta objectives are easier to apply to these general marketing goals.
It is well known that reaching the right audience determines the success of a campaign. Facebook campaign objective is the action you want someone to take on your platform. By optimizing the ad towards the right objective, the ad will be shown to the right audience and therefore enable you to achieve your business goals.
Previously, 11 objectives were available.
Campaigns created before the launch of the new objectives will stay live and operational.
Meta consolidated its 11 previous objectives into 6 and doesn’t classify them anymore into the ‘Awareness’, ‘Consideration’, ‘Conversion’ sections.
As mentioned before, the 6 new objectives are categorized according to the desired business outcome. However, all the same functionalities are available.
Indeed, some previous objectives are available as a feature or optimization setting under more than one objective (i.e. available during ad set creation). For instance, for the previous objective ‘reach’, you can choose the awareness objective and select reach as an optimization setting. Or, for the previous objective message, you can choose the engagement objective and select messaging apps as the conversion location.
Indeed, most of the new objectives will require that you choose a conversion location (i.e. the place where your intended business outcome takes place) & a conversion event (i.e. the action you want your specific audience to take). For example, if your goal is to encourage
people to contact your business through your website : your objective is lead, your conversion location is your website and your conversion event is contact.
The new 6 Meta objectives are as follows.
1. Awareness - previously brand awareness, reach and store traffic
- Why ? To introduce your product/service/brand.
- To whom ? Target top-of-funnel prospects. Reach potential customers unaware.
2. Traffic - traffic
- Why ? To redirect a target audience.
- To whom ? Retargeted prospects.
3. Engagement - engagement, video views, messages and conversions
- Why ? To increase engagement with your audience, make them interact to upgrade your brand’s page and make ads viral.
- To whom ? People showing interest.
4. Leads - lead generation, conversions
- Why ? To collect leads (forms, messages).
- To whom ? Users who have already gone through the awareness stage & are interested in the product/service.
5. App promotion - app installs
- Why ? To make people download your app.
- To whom ? People interested in App downloading.
6. Sales - conversions, catalog sales
- Why ? To generate sales online
- To whom ? Users of the funnel
Tips : When choosing among the new objectives, you can point at each and it allows you to see a brief explanation for it and for which past objective it suits best.
For all the previously mentioned reasons, it confirmed that the objective of this switch was user-oriented. The goal is to spend less time setting up campaigns and more time seeing results.